Thursday, February 5, 2015

Open adoption is a God thing

Several times this week I've found myself texting someone who used to be a complete stranger.  Now we have an on going,  ever changing relationship.   These people will be in our lives until the day we die.  Sometimes it's small talk and other times it's emotional conversation.   It's a relationship we never thought was possible, or honestly I thought I'd ever be comfortable with.  This relationship began when my husband and I decided to put our personal feelings aside and focus on what was important for our son.  When we began the adoption process we were very hesitant to give out our personal information.  There was no way I would want perfect strangers to know my last name, town we lived in, let alone our address!  If you would've told me that soon we'd share phone numbers and have them over to our house, I would've told you you're crazy! But for the second year in a row, that will happen.  One month from today our son will turn two.  TWO!  How did that happen?  It still doesn't seem possible.  When we celebrate his birthday there will be extra people there who love our son like crazy.  His birth grandparents.   I have been told on several occasions how wonderful we are for "allowing" them in his life.  That bugs me hearing it now, but sadly not too long ago, I was scared of open adoption.  Now I think why wouldn't we accept them into our lives?  We are simply keeping the people who loved our son, before we even knew about him, involved in his life. They trusted US!  PERFECT STRANGERS, to come into their lives and be our son's parents for the rest of his life!  That's a God thing right there!  If you don't believe God exists,  then you probably have never experienced a goosebumps moment of having your child's first mother place her child in your arms. She then tells him, "she's your mommy, and she'll take great care of you."  God moment.  They are so happy to be able to watch him grow and we are so happy that they can.  Open adoption is wonderful.  I highly recommend it.  Afterall, who doesn't want there children to be extra loved?  I sure do.

No comments:

Post a Comment